Wednesday afternoon and evening was very productive. I had a knitting work session all afternoon, working through figuring out a new pattern and how it was going to work.
I have started working on the Tuckamore Wrap out of the Crossings pattern book, which was just recently published, as in the copyright is 2019, and it’s now only February 1st.
Wednesday I worked through some of the issues I had encountered early on, and made some notes. I also ripped out my first attempt. I used the size needles recommended, and it was just way too tight. That is saying something since I knit with a looser gauge. I had started out with the size 6 and 7 needles, and that wasn’t working. I have bumped it up to size 8 and 9 needles. One thing to remember with knitting cables, they always come out tighter than straight knitting and knit/purl. Whoever thought that size 6 needles with worsted weight yarn was a good idea, I have no idea what how that worked for them. Let alone size 7 needles with cables and worsted weight yarn is a nightmare, and just way too tight. I can’t imagine having a tighter knitting gauge and trying to do that with the smaller needles. I was questioning it before I even started, figuring maybe since I knit looser anyway it might work, yeah no. I should also mention that I am using Wool of the Andes Tweed yarn for this project.
Since I recast it on, and got it going on the larger needles, I also have added an extra RS and WS to the set up rows before I dive into starting the pattern. I like having a little extra room in between the border and when the pattern starts, to help the border stay flat and not get warped with the pattern being too close to the edge.
I knew going it to it, that this project was going to be one that I would have to devote my full attention to while working on it, and I cannot work on it while also trying to pay attention to a show or video of some sort.