Over the course of the last couple of days, while having the second Cobblestone Heather Stroll sock in the works, I have also cast on another couple socks for two different pairs of socks.
I cast on the first sock of a pair of socks using KnitPicks Palette Yarn in rouge, as well as the first sock of a pair of socks using Black Trillium Fibres Fingering weight yarn in Morgana.
For the Palette yarn I am using my second pair of 2.50mm size 1 double pointed needles, and for the black trillium fibres yarn I am using my 2.00mm size 0 double pointed needles.
Each of the three socks have a bit different of a pattern for the top parts of the socks. My Cobblestone Heather socks have a 10 row ribbed cuff and an 80 row leg, while the Rouge Palette socks have a 20 row cuff and a 50 row leg, and and the black trillium fibres socks, have a 20 row cuff and I am aiming to fit the leg to the sock blockers.
Beings that the black trillium fibres yarn is thinner than either the Stroll or the Palette yarn, and I didn’t like how it was working out when I was work it up on either of the size 1 needles, the 2.25mm or the 2.50mm, I am giving it one last try with the size 0 needles. I am hoping they turn out better being knit up tighter. Though I am not a fan of how rough they are working up, I am hoping that will work itself out with being washed, and line dried. It also may be partly due to the fact that the yarn is 25% nylon. I don’t know what’s worse, rough socks or gaping holes from the slipped stitches along the sides of the heel where you pick up to knit the foot, that is the issue I am trying to resolve by using the size 0 needles. I am also winging the pattern on this first sock since I haven’t worked with the yarn enough to know how many rows is enough to make the leg of the sock long enough.
As you can see in the picture above the difference between the two yarns and the gauge difference between the two needle sizes. When you are working with Fingering weight yarns and making socks, half a millimeter in needle size and in gauge / tension is huge. In the picture above, both socks have a 20 row cuff and are sitting at 30 rows in the leg. While I have more to knit on both before I get to the heel, I figured that this is a good starting comparison point to show you all. I should also mention, the sock on the left has a total of eight more stitches (2 more on each needle) than the sock on the right does, and still looks and feels narrower.
When I get the Black Trillium Fibres socks done, I will definitely update on that.
I am making the rouge socks a bit shorter because I had to cut one of the balls of yarn in the winding process, and I doubt I have enough yarn in the larger of the two balls from that original ball without tying on more, and I don’t want to have to tie on the smaller ball if I don’t have to.